Monday 18 April 2022

Day 18 - Nightmare

Good evening. I'm a little late to the party for today's poem but fortunately my partner reminded me before it was too late. Today's prompt comes from the site Imagine Forest and their rather lovely Random Prompt Generator which kicked out this one for me:

"Write about a bad dream you had recently"

Now I have plenty of these  including one that is a recurring bad dream so I thought I would use that one. Here goes nothing:

Bad Dream

And here - on precipice 
overlooking churn of ocean; 
Poseidon's calling 

while a storm blossoms above;
slate grey petals and white-blue 
jagged stamen erupting out - 

down toward you. A lighthouse stands
at the cliff's edge some way 
in the distance, dormant

and dark. You move to take a coast 
path to light it but something stops you;
as if the wind takes form of a man 

just to push you towards a God's 
demanding arms. So you fall, flailing 
away from the rocky fascia of

the world and down to him, 
down to the reaching foam-tipped 
fingers waiting to close around 

your throat-

start awake. Panting. Bathed in sweat.
Finally come up to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 30 - Ending

 The cat with the mouse in its mouth is just passing through. Past the mourners, veiled and shuffling through a rhythm only known in grief. ...