Tuesday 6 December 2022

Prompt Advent Calendar - Day 6

One of my favourite types of prompts. Write in any form but you must include the following words: Icicle, Crest, Shimmer, Condensation, Murmur.

 

In Which Things Break


I, wanderer in murmured tones, I, picture

on crest of another boy’s heart - cherished memory
yellowing in the middle distance of time, I 

shimmering fool’s gold bright in the icicle 

blue of his eye. And still, we break ourselves to
the sound of an exhalation as lips sew themselves 

together - the condensation of what could have

been, wiped from the fragile shards of glass 

in which he held himself. Outgrown now, shedding 

this; I, buried in a shoebox, I, name that sours
in the major key, I, whisper. Half-remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 30 - Ending

 The cat with the mouse in its mouth is just passing through. Past the mourners, veiled and shuffling through a rhythm only known in grief. ...