Saturday 1 April 2023

Napowrimo Day 1

 Hello and welcome.

I posted my own prompt very early in the day last night so I figured I would wait to see what the official site came up with and I am utterly enamoured with the idea so I went with it: 

"They say you can’t judge a book by its cover, but they never said you can’t try to write a poem based on a book cover — and that’s your challenge for today! Take a look through Public Domain Review’s article on “The Art of Book Covers.” Some of the featured covers are beautiful. Some are distressing. Some are just plain weird (I’m looking at you, “Mr Sweet Potatoes”). With any luck, one or more of these will catch your fancy, and open your mind to some poetic insights."

For this, I am going to using what I consider to be the most important book of the year; Boy Like Me by Simon James Green.

Boy Like Me

He knows the perfume of my fear 
like he knows the coarseness of his 
fingertips against the skin of my arms.

He knows the thread of an arm around 
my chest - a safety for us both in the darkness
of bedrooms while nothing else moves.

He knows the zirconia glint from my 
earlobe is the sun and he makes himself 
Icarus for me - born to fall.

He knows that boys like us aren't born to 
last but, here in his arms with his lips
against my neck...

Doesn't everything feel so possible for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 30 - Ending

 The cat with the mouse in its mouth is just passing through. Past the mourners, veiled and shuffling through a rhythm only known in grief. ...