Monday 25 April 2022

Day 25 - Self Reflection

So as Napowrimo heads slowly towards its end, I found myself wondering about a prompt for today (or tomorrow if you are reading this from the future/two plus timezones ahead of me) and I was looking through old notebooks when it hit me.

This about reflecting on who you were as much as how you used to write. Find an old piece of writing you did and write in response or reaction to it. The piece I'm using is called "Better Now" which I wrote nearly a decade ago.

I won't be posting it as it is angry, poorly written and shouldn't ever see the light of day again. However, now comes response:

Better Now, Reprised
We bear these scars 
like all ills - a grounding weight;
chalk lines across the roads
of this body;
pyrite gleam beneath the 
skin of this earth.

We dance too readily across 
papers - words echo out
from our heels.
The music we sang was not 
made to be heard;

which is to say; we staunched 
the wounds with ashes 
and blamed the world when 
the burning didn't stop.

Which is to say; a teenage anger 
is flash paper - brief and bright,
built to falter and flame out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 30 - Ending

 The cat with the mouse in its mouth is just passing through. Past the mourners, veiled and shuffling through a rhythm only known in grief. ...