Sunday 4 December 2022

Prompt Advent Calendar - Day 4

I apologise for not posting yesterday. I was quite ill through Friday night and the early part of Saturday so I couldn't face doing any writing.

For anyone interested, the prompt was simply to write a Tritina. 

Today, however, was a favourite of mine. I use this one every time I can - to read Charles Simic’s "Church of Insomnia" and then attempt writing your own Church.

Church of Austerity

Each parishioner's breath fogs on the frigid air. The organ pipes are frozen up, a maintenance sign gathers dust as it hangs like a cross. The preacher opens his holy book; a stack of past due notices and collected reciepts. The pews stark white and bare - bereft of comfort.

"It's all for the greater good" he says with a cruel smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 30 - Ending

 The cat with the mouse in its mouth is just passing through. Past the mourners, veiled and shuffling through a rhythm only known in grief. ...