Thursday 21 April 2022

Day 21 - Wish You Were Here

Day 21 and here we go with a prompt from the list by Universe Next Door; specifically I'm using prompt number 7 from their list:

"Write a letter poem to someone as though you’re waiting for them to return." I'm making a little spin on this with a love poem to someone very special.

A Letter addressed Thomasville, North Carolina
Dear owner of this heart,

I hope this finds you well. 
I long to know the shape of your face cupped in my calloused palms. 
Each second ticks down to summer is 
a lifespan of its own. 

I wish to hold something more than the 
ghost of you in the witch hours of 
the cool Bristol nights.
A phone call ends too quickly - sleep 
interrupting your smile.

I need to hear your whisper in my ear, 
my name like a hymn before an 
altar and here I am reaching out; 
sinew straining as I'm reaching out to you 
as if I can shrink the atlantic down 
to a strait and bridge the gap between us 
with this body... if only to have you here 
for one night and capture your lips in a kiss.

I know, somewhere you're sitting with oversized mug in hand - scent of
fresh coffee sewing itself into your shirt. 
I wish I could thread my arms through 
yours and pull you flush to me - to feel 
our heartbeats in time; two drums with
one rhythm.

Echoing the words of a song we both 
wrote the words to, in the language 
we craft in long silences and loving 
glances - a hymn to the love we 
waiting desperately to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 30 - Ending

 The cat with the mouse in its mouth is just passing through. Past the mourners, veiled and shuffling through a rhythm only known in grief. ...